Saturday. We left the Alyeska Resort and drove to Whittier (about a half-hour drive) to take a Glacier Cruise. Whittier is an interesting little port accessible by two routes. You can either drive through the 2+ mile railroad tunnel (on the tracks) that goes through the mountain OR you can climb over the mountain. We decided to take the train tunnel. It's open to cars every hour on the half- hour but you must know on what half-hour the tunnel is open to traffic going in the direction you are going. Confusing, huh? Anyway, this is me and Laurice on the boat.This is another tour boat in front of Beloit Glacier.
While we were at the glacier, a rare phenomenon occured...we got to see a very large chunk of the glacier drop into the water. This is known as "calving". And, this happened again when we arrived at Blackstone Glacier.The further we went into Prince William Sound,

the colder it got. I almost froze before we got here because I wanted to stay outside to get my pics. And, my camera didn't like the cold any better than I did. I had trouble keeping it from frosting up (as you can see in the last couple of pics). We saw sea otters floating around on their backs and there were seals snoozing on the ice chunks floating around in the water. It was an awesome day! We drove over to Soldotna where we will be based until we go back to Anchorage to fly home.
1 comment:
I think the frosting up effect looks pretty cool :) I am glad you survived the FREEZING temps!
Post a Comment